24.09.2020 Closure of the Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre
A spokesperson on behalf of the Elephant and Castle town centre team said:
“We can confirm Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre will close to the public at midnight on the 24 September. The closure comes ahead of demolition, which is starting early next month, in order to make way for the creation of a new town centre.
The redevelopment has been over 20 years in the planning, with a significant majority consensus in favour throughout.
However, we are very aware that any transition of this scale presents significant challenges, not least around the disruption to existing traders and residents. Extensive interventions and processes have rightly been implemented to ensure any negative impact can be mitigated as far as possible, including:
- Delivering alternative affordable retail space at Castle Square, Ash Avenue and Elephant Arcade
- Establishing a database of alternative properties for displaced traders to relocate to
- Facilitating an independently chaired trader panel to oversee the relocation process
- Appointing an independent Business Advisor – Tree Shepherd – to support local traders with businesses advice
- Appointing a full time Spanish speaking Community Director
- Working with Southwark Council to provide a relocation and hardship fund to the tune of £8,000 for those businesses which have not been relocated .
- Providing marketing support to raise awareness and promote new trading locations
- Introducing a wayfinding map and an information stand to keep the community informed about where they can find other local services, essential shops and facilities
Throughout the process, we have worked with every independent business who has been trading since before January 2019 (as set out in our S106 agreement) to find suitable relocation options.
We know the task we face in delivering this project in an inclusive and positive manner is huge. We want to reassure all parties that we take our responsibility extremely seriously and look forward to updating and working closely with the local community and other stakeholders as we move forward in delivering a new town centre.
Back to news