481 homes (319 market rent and 165 affordable rent)
Phase 2 – East Site (Shopping Centre)
The East site will provide:
- Housing for Londoners both at affordable and market rent, professionally managed by Get Living, the UK’s pioneer in build to rent. Get Living offers simple and straightforward renting with no fees, no deposits and with secure, flexible tenancies. Homes will come fully furnished with smart home features and superfast WiFi already installed. When complete, residents will benefit from having 24/7 security, an onsite team available to help six days a week as well as access to a calendar of free social events organised by the Get Living team.
- A combination of shops, restaurants and leisure facilities, with existing shopping centre independent traders getting first right of refusal to return to the affordable retail spaces. We will also be introducing new businesses to Elephant and Castle.
- A state of the art new home for the University of the Arts’, London College of Communications to continue their long established presence in the Elephant and Castle and offer a public facing building to welcome in the local community to their spectacular exhibitions and end of year shows.
- Major improvements in transport infrastructure with; a new entrance to the Northern Line Underground providing both escalator and lift access and designed to safeguard for any future Bakerloo line extension. Step free access between the Overground Rail and Underground stations at street level.
- New London streets and a central court open for access 24hrs.
160,000 sq.ft of shops, restaurants and leisure space including a multiscreen cinema
350,000 sq.ft university building for UAL:LCC
High quality public realm - 27 trees to be retained or newly planted
New tube station
New employment opportunities
Phase 3 – West site (LCC)
498 new homes (333 market rent, 49 affordable rent and 116 social rent)
35,000 sq.ft of shops, restaurants and workspace
10% of all retail and workspace will be at affordable rents
High quality public realm
A 500 persons cultural venue
New employment opportunities
NEW TOWN CENTRE TIMELINE FOR DEVELOPMENT
Phase 1 (Elephant Central) opens
Planning Permission granted by the London Borough of Southwark
Castle Square retail units completed for Traders to fit out
The shopping centre will close on Thursday 24th September at midnight
Opening of Castle Square, Elephant Arcade and Ash Avenue units on 25th September
Planned start of demolition of the existing shopping centre
Planned commencement of construction of the new town centre
Planned handover of new underground station structure for tunnelling and fitting out by Transport for London
Planned handover of the new university building to UAL for fitting out
Planned completion of the town centre retail and leisure for fitting out
Planned opening of new town centre
Planned opening of the new UAL : London College of Communications building
Phase 3 to commence with the demolition of the existing London College of Communications
Likely opening of the new Northern Line Entrance and Ticket Hall and commence decommissioning of the existing building
Completion of the remaining Phase 2 works on the area of the existing Northern Line Entrance and Ticket Hall
Phase 3 completion on the former site of London College of Communications
Consultation on minor amendments
Working closely with Transport for London, we have identified some minor changes required to further enhance the scheme so we can deliver an outstanding town centre for Elephant and Castle.
The amendments consist of creating an extended Northern Line Ticket Hall to safeguard the Bakerloo Line Extension and Upgrade, future proofing for an integrated interchange between the Northern and Bakerloo Lines at Elephant and Castle and revisions to an existing vent shaft that needs to be retained.
In order to formalise these changes, we are submitting a Section 73 application for minor material amendments to the consented scheme, these amendments relate exclusively to the station.
We want to hear your views. The consultation will go live here on Tuesday 1 December and close at midnight on Thursday 10 December.
You can also join our virtual event with the project team who can answer any questions you may have on:
Friday 4 December – 6:00-7:00pm
If you are interested in attending, please register by emailing email@example.com